Some of the highlights from the Comey testimony are shown below. The ex-FBI director has begun speaking before a Senate Intelligence Committee:
- It confused me when he said my firing provided great relief
- I have no doubt the Russian government tried to intervene in the election
- Trump’s explanation about election didn’t make sense
- The administration chose to defame me and the FBI by saying the organisation was in disarray. Those were lies, plain and simple
- Trump didn’t ask me to stop Russian election probe, nor did any official
- It’s not for me to say whether Trump was trying to obstruct. I thought it was very disturbing.
- I first became aware of Russia cyber intrusions in the start of 2015
- Honestly concerned that the President might lie about meeting (referring to a private meeting on January 6th).
Whilst Gold saw some strong selling ahead of the testimony the market has been quiet during the testimony. US stocks are sliding slightly lower after just over an hour of the cash session but the moves have been fairly small and measured.